There are two ways to take a Microsoft exam:
- In an examination center
- Online and you can take the exam anywhere as long as you have a computer with a webcam and connected to Internet
What is the difference between the two?
Basically, it is the comfort.
Some people like to make the exam in examination center, and we will get a pen and a paper so that we can make notes for answering the question. At the end you must return the pen and the paper note.
Other like to make the exam at home or other location. But there are a lot of restrictions. For example, all notes are taken digitally by the following feature https://home.pearsonvue.com/Documents/Technical-specifications/Online-Proctored/online-proctored-whiteboard-overview.aspx).
You may also want to know the specifics restriction on how to prepare for the online exam
You should test your software at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/online-exams.aspx.
What is important to know if you are taken the exam online.
Andy Malone is a Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT) and Microsoft MVP he has had some issues and warned of some situations.
He recommends that you do the following:
- During the registration process you will receive a code notification to start the exam. Do not delete this message and note the code.
- Do not schedule your exams for a Saturday or for the end of the day, especially at night. The Pearson Vue will use artificial intelligence (AI) if there is no one available, and you won’t be able to call for help.
- If you need or have any problems/issues call the support number or use chat.
- Andy Malone noted that it is very important to disable any notification system. That are pop-ups or any type of notifications like Windows 10 Toast Notifications. The notifications will end your exam, so disable them for Windows or Mac OS.
- Don't cover your mouth, read the questions out loud, don't talk to yourself, or look around. Any of the proposed actions on exam will cause the exam to be canceled. And the examiner will only warn once.
You can consult the Andy Malone blog post at: https://www.andymalone.org/post/taking-an-proctored-microsoft-exam-you-need-to-read-this
It’s recommended that you have/do:
- Good Internet access connectivity because any Internet issues or connection fail the exam will terminate, and you cannot resume it.
- A place with good lighting.
- Prepare to be in place for 2 or 3 hours without moving, that is, you cannot move a chair, you cannot stretch your arms, among other situations.
- Before starting, clean and remove any paper, folder, dossier, notebooks, etc from your workplace.
- And remember you will be monitored by WebCam do not make any funny faces, do not put your hands on the head and others
- Any outside noise can terminate the exam.
All certification exam policies can be found here.